Friday, July 13, 2012

Numbers

It's been MONTHS since I blogged. I have been busily nesting, finishing up work and trying to get things in that I won't have time for once the little one arrives. I am now officially on maternity leave and I am due in about 3 weeks, give or take. So I was pondering the concept of numbers this morning, and the amount of importance we place on numbers. People like accumulating a high number of certain things, like dollars, IQ points, stocks & shares or Facebook friends. In equal measure, we seem to like shedding a high number of things, like kilograms, centermeters off our waist....and sometimes even Facebook friends. Take a walk around a cemetery and look at the numbers that appear on peoples headstones. The only numbers you see are the numbers that record how long someone walked this earth. Nobody has their bank balance recorded on there, nobody has their weight recorded on there, nobody has their IQ recorded on there. The important things are not so much numbers, but who the person was while they were here - Mother, Father, Grandmother, Grandfather, Son, Daughter, Wife, Husband, Friend. While I understand the importance of maintaining a healthy weight, the importance of an income and the importance of education, at the end of the day, stressing over these numbers isn't living. Don't count - make what you do count!

No comments:

Post a Comment